Quick Simple, and Tasty Recipe: Fried Selar Fish

 

Ichi's Fusion Recipes: Fried Selar Fish - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Hi, welcome back to Ichi's Fusion Recipes! What we have today? Well, Today I am gonna share one of my favorite fishes recipes; quick simple, and tasty!

Look at the picture above, what do you think? It is fried Selar fish which is very simple cooking that would save your time in the kitchen! Wait, first of all, what is Selar fish? If you have ever heard Horse Mackerel or Scads or Jacks, they are in the same family. 

Talking about fish, there was only Selar fish and Tuna that I wanted to eat. Others? I did not want them! Maybe I was a picky child when came to food, but I knew what I wanted. The reason why I did not eat Catfish, Tilapia, or any other fishes that cheaper and easy to find in the village was on how people do farm them. For example, a business owner who did farm catfish did not concern about hygiene, I did not like how they farming this fish. Moreover, the taste was very earthly. 

Ichi's Fusion Recipes: fried Selar, yong tau fu, a boiled egg, appalam, cherry tomatoes, a peach, and a glass of coconut water - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Since moved to a city on another island, I started liking fried catfish that many food stalls offered it. Why I finally received Catfish on the table? In the new city that I studied for my Bachelor's degree, locals experts on how to cook this earthly fish. I amazed with their knowledge, they knew how to make this fish become a great and tasty dish! If you go to this particular city, you would see food stalls along the street that selling fried catfish! They open in the evening. It is one of the famous dishes from this city that would make us remember about its city.

Forget about Catfish, now we talk about Selar fish. In the past, after my father lost everything, we could not afford the ocean fishes. One thing that I remember is that a kind person would buy sea fish; it could be Tuna or Selar fish for my family. This person had also given me school assistance every month. They were a nice, and loving family. Twice a week or sometimes once a week, the seller of sea fish would come around the village to sell tuna and Selar fish. Usually, Selar fish would end up became fried Selar that season with salt, shallot, garlic, coriander and fried with cooking oil. Simple yet tasty, everyone in the household loved it.

Nowadays, I also like to cook Selar in an easy way. Let's check it out!

Ingredient:

  • 250 g of Selar
  • 400 ml of canola oil
  • 4 g of garlic powder
  • 2-3 g of low sodium salt
  • 1/2 of lime - squeeze and take the juice out
These are what you do:

  • Clean and wash Selar. Make some cuts on the fish
  • Cover them with lime juice
  • Cover with 1 g of garlic powder on each side of the fishes
  • Cover the fish with low sodium salt
  • Prepare the pan and pour canola oil. Turn on the stove on medium-low flame
  • Arrange the fishes on the pan, fry them until the meat firm on both sides

Ichi's Fusion Recipes: Fried Selar - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Tips; do not flip the fish until the meat is firm
  • Turn off the stove
Quick simple, and easy cooking, right? I would love to eat this fried fish with yong tau fu. For the yong tau fu broth, I chose dashi or Japanese base soup. In addition, eating with a boiled egg and Indian cracker called appalam, that combination is perfect!😋 Do not forget to eat fruit!

My new article on Ichi's Garden; "Spring and Autumn in Singapore" link here https://ichi-garden.blogspot.com/2021/03/spring-autumn-in-singapore.html

Thank you for reading my article. Take care and bye!🖐🙂

Note:
  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographs anywhere else without permission

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sauteed Mix Veggie and Sio Peck Chye

Boiled Egg Soup

Miso Soup