Simply Yet Healthy: Omelet and Red Spinach; Stir-fried Bitter gourd and Baked tempeh

 

Ichi's Fusion Recipes; omelet, boiled red spinach, cherry tomatoes, edamame, homemade condiment, brown rice - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Welcome back to Ichi's Fusion Recipes! What we have today? I am gonna share a simple recipe yet healthy that would give benefits to your body. I have 2 set menu that I want to talk about it today!

1. Set 1: omelet, boiled red spinach, cherry tomatoes, edamame, homemade condiment, and brown rice

It looks simple, right? I know that this set menu just unengaging and maybe for some people looks boring. For some people I know, it is a menu for the lower class not for those who have always eaten in the restaurant. However, this menu has lots of vitamins and nutrients in it that good for your health.

I have always chosen carrot egg. Every week we buy 2 packs which are 10 eggs in each pack. The egg is full of nutrients for instance B vitamins, a source of vitamin D, vitamin E, Omega and carrot egg contain vitamin A. My father taught me to eat an egg every day. In the past, at least I ate a boiled egg for my breakfast. For us, I would like to choose a low-cholesterol egg. So basically, we eat boiled eggs or omelets almost every day. On how to make an omelet I have always put celery and a pinch of low sodium salt. Celery is also good if you have high blood pressure. I wrote on my another article that celery can lower blood pressure. Adding celery to our dish every day will gain benefits to our body. And choosing low sodium salt is also a good thing to keep our health. You can imagine if we eat normal salt and too much salt in each food that we eat every day, it could lead you have high blood pressure or hypertension. It sounds bad, isn't it?

Each meal must contain vegetables that my rule at home. Buying vegetables such as red spinach, green spinach, broccoli, french bean, et cetera, is my routine when going shopping. The faster way is just to boil my spinach without putting any salt or anything. So, it is plain? Yes! I remember my elementary school teacher told us that spinach contains vitamin A and good for eye signs. No wonder I had always wanted to eat vegetable soup every day.😄 Where many people in my village, my classmates& my teachers, my brother, my father had an eye infection, I didn't have it. Spinach is also a source of vitamin C as well. By eating this vegetable is definitely good for our body.

To complete this set menu, adding cherry tomatoes. If I have edamame in my fridge, then I would like to put them too! And because my husband loves "sambal" (fresh homemade condiment), so put a little bit just makes this menu great! This fresh homemade condiment made from garlic, onion, kaffir lime, cherry tomatoes, and chili; fry them with butter. Technically, this condiment is also a healthy choice. Unfortunately, I can't eat spicy food, so sad😒

Choosing rice is tricky. But I love Japanese rice. However, I do not like Japanese rice that produce in Asia country which means Japanese rice from Vietnam or Thailand. Why? The texture and the rice habits are completely different. In the market, whether wet market or hypermarket nearby our block, there are lots of Japanese sweet potatoes, but when it comes from Vietnam or Malaysia, this Japanese sweet potato has a different texture compared to Japanese sweet potato produce/ from Japan. I can tell the differences between them. For me, the texture is important. 

If I am not wrong, the fiber in Japanese rice is higher than brown rice/ red rice. I think that a reason why we would like to buy Japanese rice. But it does not mean we do not eat brown or red rice. When Japanese rice is too expensive for us, we choose the second backup; it is brown rice or red rice. We have eaten brown/ red rice and Japanese rice for a few years now.

Simply yet healthy, that is how I describe this set 1 menu.  This set is one of our daily menus at home.

2. Set 2: stir-fried bitter gourd and baked tempeh


 Ichi's Fusion Recipes: stir-fried bitter gourd, baked tempeh, brown rice, and cherry tomato - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

What do you think when looking at the picture above? Well, it looks like untasty food and bored.🙄 But, safe your thought about it, you can think about the benefits of it instead.

I understand, when talking about bitter gourd, instantly we avoid this vegetable because of the bitter taste. But, we can make it a more intriguing dish. How? Here is my recipe!

Ingredient:

  • 500 g of bitter gourd
  • 50 g of dried split fish
  • 1 big yellow onion
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  • 2 tbsp of oyster sauce

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • 5 g of onion powder, we can substitute with onion and garlic spice blend
  • 5 g of garlic powder
  • 100 ml of water
These are what you do:
  • Peel the bitter gourd. Cut into two and clean it from the seed. Cut them into thin-slice

Bitter gourd - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Wash them, and soak for about 15 minutes
  • Wash in running water again, and drain it
  • Soak dried split fish with warm water for 5-10 minutes then wash in running water

Ichi's Fusion Recipes: dried split fish - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Prepare the pan, add butter and yellow onion that you cut into thin-slice

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Turn on the stove on medium-low flame. Saute for about 3 minutes
  • Add dried split fish, stir them for a few minutes before adding the bitter gourd. Stir bitter gourd for about 5 minutes

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti


Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  •  Pour water, add oyster sauce, garlic powder, and garlic and onion spice blend. Stir them for about 7-10 minutes. Turn off the stove

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Stir-fried bitter gourd is ready

Stir-fried bitter gourd - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Now, we make baked tempeh

I have a schedule that 1 week eat tempeh, 1 week eat egg. Of course, we eat these proteins with vegetables, rice or couscous or noodle, or pasta, along with fruit!

In this article, I would like to share making baked tempeh. Let's check it out!

Ingredient:
  • 200 g fresh tempeh - cut in thin-slice
  • 50 g of potato starch
  • 30-50 ml of soy sauce - I use gluten-free
  • 5 g of onion powder
  • 5 g of garlic powder
  • 1 g of turmeric powder
  • 5 g of crushed red chili pepper - this is optional
These are what you do:
  • Put soy sauce, onion and garlic powder, turmeric powder in a zipper plastic bag
  • Place tempeh inside and shake it
  • In another zipper plastic bag, put potato starch. Place season tempeh inside and shake it
  • Arrange tempeh on the tray. Spray them with olive oil
  • Bake in the oven for 20- 30 minutes at 230 degrees Celcius

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Now baked tempeh is ready

Ichi's Fusion Recipes; baked tempeh - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Well, if you want to know about the second set menu, it is good for your health. Bitter gourd is a natural remedy to lower blood pressure which means if you have hypertension, eating bitter gourd is a wise choice. People from my hometown knew about it. Wherever they got high blood pressure, instead of visiting a local clinic, they cook bitter gourd at home.

Combining stir-fried bitter gourd with tempeh is a good set menu. My elementary school said if we could not afford meat we could eat tempeh. Moreover, tempeh is a probiotic source that is good for our immune system.

To eat stir-fried bitter gourd, I would choose rice whether Japanese rice or brown/ red rice. The taste of stir-fried bitter gourd is a little bit bitter, however, it is not so bad at all because we can manipulate it with dried split fish. That's how I found this recipe; bitter but tasty at the same time!

These are my recipes for today. Simple menus yet tasty and healthy. Furthermore, they are affordable. 

Read my new article on The Journey of Ichi's Family; Living in Singapore: The Relationship Between Locals and Us. Link here https://ichi-journey.blogspot.com/2021/03/living-in-singapore-what-is.html

Thank you for reading my article. see you in the next article, and bye for now!🖐🙂

Note:
  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographs anywhere else without permission


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sauteed Mix Veggie and Sio Peck Chye

Boiled Egg Soup

Miso Soup