Dinner Idea: Tempeh Japanese Curry and Soba

 


Dinner idea: tempeh Japanese curry and soba - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Tempeh, again? Today I would like to share a tempeh recipe; and it is tempeh Japanese curry. Remember this, when I say curry it means Japanese curry, not the other curry. For me, tempeh and curry is a good combination, and having a great taste. Besides, it easy cooking that you will save your time. Are you exciting? Yeah me too. That is my motto, cooking in an easy way yet tasty.

I know that tempeh and curry come from different countries. Tempeh is a common food in Indonesia. Many people in my hometown said tempeh was food for poor people. Because it has a cheap price that poor villager could afford it. I remember when I was at an elementary school; my teacher said, "Do not worry if you can't buy meat, because we can substitute meat with tempeh. Tempeh is a protein source too, and of course a probiotic source. You can still become a smart student without meat." Why my teacher mentioned "a smart student"? You guess.... when I was studying at a university, another student bullied me, "every day eat that (means tempeh), you will never become smart."  Well, in fact, I was one of the top students from the beginning; since elementary school until university. That tempeh image in Indonesia. Unlike in another country, Japan for example; tempeh is good as same as miso paste. That's what my Japanese friend said. Moreover, many vegans choose tempeh as their food. Here in Singapore, tempeh is a rare item; especially when we are talking about organic tempeh; it costs $7  Can you believe that? But I haven't bought an organic one; common tempeh is good enough for me that only costs around $2. 


Tempeh Japanese curry - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

How about curry, where the idea come from to use tempeh in curry? I am someone who likes to mix and match ingredients. That how tempeh curry born. When we are talking about Japan, I have a  Japanese friend since I was at a high school and learning Japanese culture. I also like foods because most of them are vegetables and fish base. There is the reason I have been developing Japanese recipes in my kitchen since 2015. And curry is one of my favorite foods. I cook it many times by using different ingredients; commonly is carrot and potato. But making it with another ingredient is my skill. And in this article curry with tempeh. 

Speaking of which, when we start to make tempeh curry? Ok, let get started!

Ingredient:
  • 400 g of tempeh - cut into small pieces/ cut in dice
  • 2 block Japanese curry sauce
  • 600 ml of water
  • 1 big yellow onion
  • 2 tbsp of butter or olive oil
These are what you do:
  • Prepare the pan, add butter and onion. Turn on the stove on medium-low flame. Saute for about 2-3 minutes. Add tempeh, stir for about 3-5 minutes

Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Pour water, add Japanese curry block

Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Bring to boil or until the curry block dissolved

Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Turn off the stove and prepare your dinner!
Prepare dinner:
  • Place soba in the middle of the plate 
  • Pour curry around it
  • Give it some purple cabbage, paprika (yellow or red), and some nori
  • Dinner is ready, don't forget to eat fruit!

Dinner idea: tempeh Japanese curry and soba, orange, and a glass of water - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Sounds easy, right? It just in minutes then your dinner is ready. That's what I like about Japanese curry, easy cooking, less ingredient, yet tasty and healthy! Nowadays, people say that tempeh is a superfood, another says vegetarian food. For me, neither vegan nor superfood; tempeh was my daily food before moving to Singapore. And I am glad when I could find it at the store! Still my favorite food until today and later. What if I can't find tempeh anymore, well maybe it is time to make my own tempeh!😊

Thank you for reading my article, See you in another article and bye! 😘👌

Note:
  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographs anywhere else without permission












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sauteed Mix Veggie and Sio Peck Chye

Boiled Egg Soup

Miso Soup