Ramen Soto

 

Ichi's Fusion Recipe: Ramen soto with rice cake and chunks of chicken breast - Photographed by RDZ, edit by Acik Mardhiyanti

Hi, how are you today? Well, we will have a long weekend because tomorrow is Good Friday which means a public holiday! Sort story is that I could not wait to share this recipe until next week. Therefore, I am going to write it today!🤗

Talking about ramen your imagination will fly to Cherry Blossom flower, right? Here in Singapore, we can easily find ramen in the restaurant. For example, nearby there are 2 ramen restaurants. In general, if I want to eat ramen I just visit these places without busy in the kitchen to prepare it by myself. But, I would like to cook our own meal every day unless I got sick. Moreover, I can't eat meat that is basically one packet in the ramen menu that the restaurant offers. So, I need to find a way to make ramen!

My Japanese friend said it is possible to make fish ramen by using dried mackerel. But, I could not find this ingredient, might be in the Japanese grocery store available. Unluckily, this store is far away from our district where we live. I do not like to travel an hour or more just to find ingredients. I am a person who likes to use sources nearby or what I can find around me and create a new dish. That's what I call adaptation in the environment. No wonder I have never traveled to an Indonesian store just to buy Indonesian ingredients, no never! In this ramen case, I do the same thing that I cook ramen in my own style!

Inspired by Japanese ramen and "soto" (Indonesian chicken soup), I created my ramen! Let's check it out!

1. Making chicken broth

Ingredient:

  • 500 g of chicken breast (skinless and boneless) - cut into small chunks
  • 2,200 ml of water
  • 2 tbsp of lemongrass - or 2 stalks of lemongrass
  • Some of the lemon basil leaves
  • Celery - around 4 stalks - cut finely
  • 20 g of garlic powder
  • 20 g of onion powder or I use garlic and onion spice blend

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • 10 g of black pepper powder
  • 10 g of low sodium salt
  • 15 ml of soy sauce - I use gluten-free soy sauce

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • 1 big yellow onion - cut in slice

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • around 8 cloves of garlic - cut and chop it
  • 50-70 ml of olive oil to make the chicken broth
These are what you do:
  • Prepare a pot or a big pan
  • Pour the water and add the chicken breast. Turn on the stove on medium-low flame
  • Add garlic powder, onion powder (garlic&onion spice blend), onion that you cut, garlic that you chop. Add salt, olive oil, lemon basil leaves, celery, black pepper, and lemongrass. Cook for about 40 minutes. Turn off the stove

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Now by using strainers, to take a clear broth

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti


Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Prepare a pot and pour a clear broth. turn on the stove on medium-low flame. Pour soy sauce, give it at least 3 minutes so that the soy sauce blends well. Turn off the stove

Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti


2. Vegetables

I love vegetables so I want my ramen full of veggie as well. I decided to add boiled bean sprout, boiled carrot, boiled white cabbage, and boiled Chye sim. 

3. Chicken Meat

I have always mentioned that I can't eat meat. In this case, I would like to make a clear chicken broth by separating the broth and the meat. What I did next was that frying some chicken breast in 200-300 ml of olive oil until golden brown on both sides.


Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti


Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti


Ichi's Fusion Recipes: fried chicken breast - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti


Ichi's Fusion Recipes: chunks of chicken breast from the broth - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti



4. Soba and Rice Cake

Like I said that I would like to adapt and use the ingredient that I can found around me. Therefore, I put soba and rice cake to create my ramen. The reason why using soba because I have it in my kitchen cupboard and I had 1 portion of rice cake on my fridge. Just add something that I have at home. 


Green tea soba - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti


Rice cake - Photographed by RDZ


Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by RDZ

5. Preparing Ramen Veggie in Chicken Broth
  • Place noodles in a bowl. In my case, I put soba green tea noodles and rice cake
  • Arrange the vegetables around noodles, and give it slices of fried chicken breast


Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by RDZ


Ichi's Fusion Recipes - Photographed by RDZ, edit by Acik Mardhiyanti


Ramen soto with green tea soba noodle - Photographed by RDZ, edit by Acik Mardhiyanti


Ramen soto with rice cake - Photographed by RDZ, edit by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Pour the broth, and we can add the chicken breast
  • Spread celery on it, give it some nori on it, and fried shallot 

Rice cake ramen soto - Photographed by RDZ
  • Place a slice of lime. Before eating ramen soto we need to squeeze this slice of lime. Mix it well 

This is my ramen that I call Ramen Veggie in Chicken Broth. So, this is ramen or what? Well, this is ramen in my version or style by using ingredients around me. 


Rice cake ramen soto with chunks of chicken breast - Photographed by RDZ, edit by Acik Mardhiyanti

When we sit at the dining table and taste it, the only word that spits out was, WOW! GREAT! We loved it and I would like to try to make fish ramen at another time!😉


Ramen soto with green tea soba noodles - Photographed by RDZ, edit by Acik Mardhiyanti

What do you think? I think is not bad to make ramen in our own style. That's is what I love about cooking when I can create a new recipe by mixing recipes from 2 or more different countries.


Ramen soto - Photographed by RDZ

Thank you for reading my article, have a nice weekend! Bye for now!🖐🙂

Note:
  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by RDZ and Acik Mardhiyanti. Edit by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographs anywhere else without permission

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sauteed Mix Veggie and Sio Peck Chye

Boiled Egg Soup

Miso Soup