Dinner Idea: "Kampoeng" style; tempeh curry & rice cake


Dinner idea: "Kampong" style; tempeh curry & rice cake, dragon fruit & apple, "kampoeng" cracker, a glass of root beer - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Hi, welcome back to Ichi's Fusion Recipes! 😊 It's been a while, how you doing? Nowadays, life isn't easy because lots of things happen in this unprecedented crisis because of Covid-19, and looks like everything mess up in a tumultuous time. Well, at least that what happened in my experience recently.  To be honest, anything that I had planned for 2020 disappeared like smoke in the air. But what can I say, the world is changing rapidly. One thing that I can do is embrace it, trying the best I could to construct my plan, make my life useful by helping others. Thus, make me happy even if in this uncertain future. I hope you are also doing the same things, never give up whatever it takes 👍

Reading the title then immediately you knew that I will be going to talk about "kampoeng' style dinner again. "Kampoeng" means village, remember? It calls tempeh curry, but I think in my hometown people didn't give it a name for this particular dish. Like always, I cook it in my style by using easy season that I could found and easy to use. Furthermore, make it easy cooking and faster because time is precious to me. The most important thing is that substituting coconut milk with cooking cream and adding some vegetables to it will enhance the flavor.

Tempeh Curry - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Basically, every time when I cook something "curry", I would like to use coconut milk because it was our tradition from my hometown. But since moved to Singapore a few years ago, I was thinking to substitute this one with another source. First, my stomach can't take coconut milk. It could cause me diarrhea instantly including spicy foods. Because of this reason I needed to get cooking cream. Here is the recipe! 😍

Ingredient:

  • 400 g of fresh tempeh - I don not recommend frozen tempeh - cut in dice
  • A handful of dried shrimp - wash them before cook
  • 1800 ml of water
  • 200 ml of cooking cream
  • 3-4 bay leaves
  • 20 g of onion powder
  • 20 g of garlic powder
  • 15-20 g of low sodium salt
  • 7 g of turmeric powder
  • 5-7 g of coriander seeds powder
  • 5 g of dried coriander leaves
  • 5-7 g of black pepper powder
  • 1 medium red onion - finely cut
  • 1 medium yellow onion - finely cut
  • 2 tbsp of butter
These are what you do:
  • Prepare the pan or wok, put butter, red onion & yellow onion. Turn on the stove on medium-low flame. Saute for about 3 minutes
  • Add tempeh that you cut, stir them for about 3 minutes
  • Pour water and cooking cream
  • Add garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper powder, bay leaves, salt, turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, dried coriander leaves. This is optional; add 5-10 g of crushed red pepper
  • Mix them all together, and add dried shrimp, bring to boil, and taste it. If you think that you need more salt then add as much as you need
  • Let it sit for about 5-7 minutes. Then turn off the stove
  • Now tempeh curry is ready to make your dinner alive!
Well, in this recipe we ate this curry with rice cake. Back then in my village, people accustomed to eating rice cake only during the festive season. Believe me, when the festive season came every household in my village would busy in their kitchen to cook special food, sometimes took a week to prepare. You can imagine, cooking everything from scratch by starting made cookies and snacks, and followed with dishes or main dishes. Making rice cake actually is an easy task, but I don't have much time to create it, so just bought it from a hypermarket nearby.


Rice cake - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Prepare dinner:

  • Place the rice cake first
  • Pour tempeh curry on it
  • Spread vegetables that could be purple cabbage, carrot, cherry tomato, and celery. Well give it the final touch by giving fried shallot
  • When we lucky enough to buy "kampoeng" crackers then I would like to add it too
  • The last is do not forget to eat fruit! 😉
  • This recipe is enough to invite your friend for dinner at least enough for 5-6 people
You know what? We can also eat tempeh curry with spaghetti to substitute rice cake or even soba noodles 😁😋

Thank you for reading my article. See you in another article. Have a nice day 🖐😊

Note:
  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographs anywhere else without permission


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sauteed Mix Veggie and Sio Peck Chye

Boiled Egg Soup

Miso Soup