Dinner Idea: Stir-fried Kale with anchovies, tempura tempeh, and boiled potato


 Dinner idea: stir-fried kale with anchovies, tempura tempeh, boiled potato, an orange, and berry tea - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Hi, welcome back to Ichi's Fusion Recipes! How you doing? I always hope all of you are doing fine wherever you are. Anyway, what we have today for a dinner idea? Well, it is my creation that cook kale with anchovies. Have you ever made this dish before? Well, the taste is great!πŸ˜‹

First of all, I would like to talk about the story behind this meal! Many times I have been always talking about tempura tempeh. The only reason is that I love tempeh! Here in Singapore, it is not easy to find this particular food source. Indeed, I could find it at the wet market; unfortunately, the taste is not good as tempeh that sold in the hypermarket. Here the thing that I want to tell you; we manage to go finding tempeh at the hypermarket nearby once a week at a specific time and day. It looks like we have a penchant for hunting precious deer at the mountain πŸ˜… If we are lucky, we will buy some that enough for a week.😊

Anyway, we can see above in the picture that the boiled potato is served on the table. Back then when I lived in my hometown, eating this food was unusual for most villagers. As I mentioned in my previous article that people in my village ate cassava to substitute rice. But how I ate boiled potato? To answer this question is likely difficult because I don't know why I like a boiled potato that looked weird for a village girl like me at the time. At 16, I decided to study at a university that needed to travel 24 hours from my hometown. It means, since that day I manage to live alone, and once a year I visited my father. Traveling for such long hours by bus without enough money to buy food was the idea to bring boiled potatoes and boiled egg. Which means that I ate this particular food only during the trip. Because it was simple and easy to eat rather than brought rice with veggie. 

Now, it's time to talk about stir-fried kale with anchovies. Kale is neither a native plant here where I live or in my hometown. I found it when I moved here to Singapore. The price is quite expensive because it imported from Australia. Moreover, it is not popular veggie maybe because of the price or it could be culture. But I want to give it try and create a new recipe for this green leafy veggie by cooking it with dried anchovies that we can find easy at the wet market, grocery store, or hypermarket nearby. We call it "ikan bilis" in Singapore. If you eat a Malay dish called "nasi lemak" then you will recognize anchovies in it. So, here the recipe! 😊

Ingredient:

  • 1 pack kale - cut as you like

Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • a handful of anchovies - wash before use it
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
  • 3 g of low sodium salt - Add more salt if you like more salty
  • 3 g of garlic powder
  • 3-5 g of onion powder
  • 1 yellow onion - finely cut
  • 1 red onion - finely cut
  • Water 50 - 100 ml
These are what you do:
  • Prepare the pan, add butter, red and yellow onion that you cut. Turn on the stove on medium-low flame. Saute for about 3 minutes

Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Add anchovies, stir for about 1-2 minutes

Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Add kale and water; add salt, onion powder, garlic powder. Stir them well for about 3-5 minutes and turn off the stove
  • Stir-fried kale with anchovies is ready!
Arrange dinner:
  • Place boiled potato by cutting a half. Give it some coriander leaves on it
  • Place tempura tempeh
  • Place stir-fried kale with anchovies
  • Do not forget to eat fruit!

Dinner idea: Boiled potatoes, tempura tempeh, and stir-fried kale with anchovies - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

What do you think? For me, personally, kale reminds me of cassava leaves that I often ate when lived in my hometown. The texture is no doubt that it has the same texture. Many kinds of dishes that villagers made by using cassava leaves; for instance, stir-fried, curry, and also salad. Did I mention salad? Next time I want to write a salad recipe from my hometown. But, it isn't easy because one of the ingredient seasons is rare even we can't find it anywhere here😐 

Thank you for reading my article, stay safe, keep healthy, and help each other πŸ˜˜πŸ–

Note:
  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographs anywhere else without permission

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sauteed Mix Veggie and Sio Peck Chye

Boiled Egg Soup

Miso Soup